Sunday, February 19, 2006

Day 15 - Life and Love

My blog on Day 5 was after a mail I received that stunned me. This blog too is after a mail I received recently that stunned me(this time for a change it was good). A very long blog. So read only if you have enough time to.


Besant Nagar, Chennai - A few years back.

It was around 1 o’ clock in the morning. It was so cold. I was sitting on one of the steps in the verandah of the Besant Nagar church. It was filled with mud, papers and all kinds of dirty material. Swarms of mosquitoes were flying around me. There were a few people around me, sleeping soundly. I recognized one guy on the right corner of the verandah. Every week while coming back from the church, I used to pay a rupee to that poor fellow. ‘Now, I am sleeping in a place where he slept daily’. I couldn’t control anymore. Tears flowed down my eyes. I closed my eyes. No more tears. Sleep!!! Sleep!!! I slept there on the steps.

I woke up. It was 3.30 in the morning. I started walking towards the beach. I was alone in the beach. There was nobody around me. I thought, “What am I doing? Where is this life going?” The last few years had been pain. Nothing but pain. I needed a friend. I wanted to talk to somebody. But, nobody was there. A wave showered my feet. I saw the sea. May be it is calling me. I wanted to die. I wanted the waves to take me away. But… it would be more pain!!. Should I do it? No, I wont. I am not a coward… Or may be I am not brave enough to do it!! Tears…. again. I am going to do it. I stepped forward towards the sea. It was going to be the end.

Suddenly I heard somebody shouting. It was a policeman.
Yaarudaa athu?(Who is it?) - he shouted.

He started coming towards me. I knew what was coming. I took out my ID card. Before he could ask anything I started speaking.
“Sir, I am from this college”, I gave him my ID card.
“Intha timela ennappa panrae inga?” (What are you doing here at this time?).
His tone was soft now. Was it because he saw the card or because he saw my eyes?. I didn’t answer.
“How did you come here?”
“Bike sir”. “You are not supposed to be here after 10. Leave now”, he said.

I was surprised he didn’t ask any questions. He came with me to the church. I had parked my bike there. It was the only thing that had been with me for the past few years.

Finally he asked me, “Did you fail in your exam?”. I smiled...
“I have never failed in an exam”, I said. He looked back at me, confused. I started the bike. I took off to my hostel.

I did not asked the policeman’s name. I have forgotten his face. I don’t know who he is. It is ironic that sometimes, you don’t know some of the most important people in your life. Sometimes I think that God doesn’t exist. But he does.


Home - May, three months later

I was home for my summer holidays. Your results were declared that day. Whenever tenth standard or twelfth standard results are declared, I will be busy. People call up home, come home and ask me to get the results through the net. I got your register number as well, just one of the many I got.

Till that morning, you were just ‘another girl’ to me. The results started coming in. I saw your score. I told you the score. You were a district ranker. That meant being on newspapers for the next two days. I saw you jumping with joy. A little girl jumping with joy. I was happy for you.

My mother started telling me about you. I never cared to listen about any girl till then, for I thought no girl would ever look at me. I don’t know why, but I listened that day.

You mesmerized people with your speeches. You read all the books in the world. You were a celebrity in school. You were cheerful. You were beautiful. You played chess so well. You solved crosswords in moments. You loved puzzles. You never missed a quiz on TV. You fought for Vikatan. You loved reading poems. You painted so well. You were very intelligent. You were kind to people. You smiled, always. And finally you were so good at heart.

It was as if somebody was repeating all that I had in mind. The perfect person to share my life. The character I had etched in my mind, but felt that I was not worthy getting. You were the person I wanted to be in life. You were the person I wanted in my life. I knew nothing about you the previous day. It was as if I knew everything about you now.

Evening came. You came to my house. The first time I saw you so close. Smiling all the time. Happy as ever. You talked. I watched. Till then, I didn’t want anything in life. Now, I wanted everything in life. To share them with you. Everyday I came to know more about you, I started loving you more. And before my vacations were over, the unfilled part of the puzzle was filled. You got admission where what you wanted. You were going to be a !!!!!!

But………Unless I change myself I am not going to have a life with you!!! I changed.

I came back to college. I worked hard, harder than ever I had worked. For you. I changed. Letters to you filled up my diaries. I talked to you daily through them. I got a job. Only because of you. College was over. I joined my first job. I disliked it. I joined another. People at the job hated me. My diary was my sole outlet. All that was pushing me was you. I wanted to do something more. For you. I resigned my job.

I came home. I saw you. I talked to you. Very little. But that was enough. I spent the six months preparing for my MBA. I wrote my MBA exams.

I came home again. You too were at Cornigela. It seemed as if whenever I came home they sent you home on holidays. I worked hard. I read a lot. We talked a little about books. We smiled whenever we saw each other. I prepared for my interviews. Harder, harder and harder. You were there at your home all the time. Every day I heard your voice at least once. More letters went into my diary. You asked me to get a few novels for you. I got a lot of novels for you. You read them. So, I read them all. I worked hard, I had no worries, for you were there with me. I did well in my interviews. I got what I wanted. Admission for an MBA in a premier B-School. And then…… I saw a drawing of yours. A mother with a child. I cried… I took it with me wherever I went… I saw your face in that. I loved you more than ever.

I was in college after 2 years. I wanted to prove something for all that I didn’t do in my graduation. I had the drawing with me. It was enough to give me all the energy I needed. I became one of the top 5 in class. Something I would never have done if it hadn’t been for you. I watched episode after episode of Friends wishing that I would watch it with you one day.

I mailed you. I couldn’t wait. I mailed you again hinting that I wanted to share my life with you. You replied. But, you replied hinting that I was like a brother to you. You said you wouldn’t be mailing me back again for long. I cried. I took my diary to write a letter to you. There was only one page left. I opened my laptop to watch Friends. Only the last episode was left. It all seemed to be the end. I cried all day.

I came home for vacations. I couldn’t talk to you. The door was shut, I thought. It all seemed to be over. February 14th came. I drank for the first time in life. You are the reason for what I am now. And you might be the reason for what I will be in the future, I thought.

Two days passed. I got a mail from you. I couldn’t believe it. You wanted to talk to me. You wanted to chat with me. You said you will mail me every week. You said you wanted discuss everything with me. You said you had been longing for a friend like me. You said a lot more things. And finally you said, “Thanks for all the help you had done”…
Then, what should I say to you?


Two people. I know nothing about one. I know everything about the other. I cant remember one’s face. I cant forget the other’s. I will never meet one. I will never leave the other. Lots of differences. But both changed my life, forever. I will never forget them, never ever.

18 comments:

Sathish said...

Hey I like this blog, because I know and I can understand....

I only wish some day.. even doctors get to read blogs and know how much the blog meant to the person who wrote it.

Luv Ya
Sathish

first part: B
second part B : A+

Anonymous said...

Tears rolling down my cheeks ..... Never get upset da .... U will get what ever u wanted in life da ....

JK

Priya said...

It was really touching!! Deep from within my heart I wish u get everything u want in life!!

Anton nigel said...

Well ashok I took 3/4 of an hour to read all u'r blogs fom 1-15,

Buddy it was one of the best i've ever read!

Keep it up!

My wishes for u'r sucessfull life buddy!

Hrishi said...

Well Ashok, I feel tht i wudnt be makin a perfect justice wit my comment with my little knowledge of backgrd.........however, its a nicely written blog......raises a few questions many of us battle with at som epoint of time in our lives.......just keep in mind tht some overcome it, some dont...........so get movin dude.....all well tht ends well..........anyways........u can also chk my blog.

Anonymous said...

hey Ashok,
sometimes u dont know wat to say, i dont, and its better off that way.. all i wish and pray is that ur wishes r granted, for thats wat ultimately counts, for all of us, in life..keep the faith, it sees us through all p.s.: startled to see ur depth...

sayan

Craze Maze said...

thanks all for the comforting words.

After MKR's comment, I was thinking why I wrote this blog. I was unable to come up with an answer.. Was I right or wrong in sharing such important incidents of my life ?? Dont know..

May be I wanted to get a few things out of my mind, a few things that I never told anybody,
as I was so happy that day!!!

Shiju Vethamuthu Nesamony said...

Dear Ashok,
I was chatting with Nigel when he asked me to just go through your bolg. As Nigel says, I feel this is one of the best blogs I have ever read. You made me feel your heart. I am telling this probably because it holds the spirit of our time and space. I read the blogs again and again and again and what else? I feel nostalgic. I couldn't wait this morning to log on to place a comment and this is the first thing I am doing today.
And for all, love breaks even those cool craze mazes. And the mistake (discuss) in the last paragraph made me feel that you missed a heart beat or two when you had to see destiny pass by. Clouded by emotions and ambivalance, looking into the pale blue sky, the future may look bleak. Destiny hasn't passed away. This is the joy of love, the joy of being at the giving end. It's here that life begins. From where you start living... to wait to see her come home, to you... to kiss you... and to tell you she is yours.

Yearnings of my heart...

Love you tons
Shiju.

Anonymous said...

Well.. i dont know what to tell you.. but you've really developed a great style of capturing emotions with simple clear words..
awesome!!!

-Santhosh

Anonymous said...

Day 15 is what I liked the most. You have in deed developed a very deep poetic sense while writing. I can fully understand what has powered the same. Wish you the very best buddy!

TheCruisemaniac said...

U're too gud machan... Sathyama nenja thottuta pa....

All your posts man... All of them!!!!

U're simply awesome... and the latest one really got my heart thumping and bleeding...

Really kewl...

Anonymous said...

Dei Cappuccino payale,

Nice to read... Keep moving.........

if [ CRAZE_MAZE.DAY15 -eq ASHOK.TRUE ]
then
echo "ALWAYS YOUR FRIENDS ARE THERE"
echo "FIRST TIME EVENTS CAN BE AVOIDED"
end if

Sorry pa, oru flowla vanthidichu.

with :-)
Dhas

Anonymous said...

FIRST TIME EVENTS -> i mean thani :-)

regards,
Dhas

Anonymous said...

Mavane
Ennamo Poda
Manase sari-illa
Kalakitta poda
Ennayave kannaidla (mirror)Parkanum pola iruku

LOL
Karthick

SMS - Shanmugavel said...

dear Ashok,
Very touching da.
Love.. We are Lifeless without it..
Women.. Wonderful creations of God..
May be it's true that "Behind every successful man, there is a woman"

I sincerely wish you get whatever you wanted/love in life. :)

love, velmani

Anonymous said...

dude,it made me feel that its my story..love transcends every thing god created,physical togetherness culminatin to marriage is manifestation of love that we feel in youth but love is too beautiful to ever leave you

Close-uP said...

very nice blog.! man ...
well after reading ur DAY-15th .. i wonder if i will start a similar blog with almost similar content.

Craze Maze said...

Bharath

I think most of us have gone through a similar journey like me. The only difference is that I am luck in the end. Some might not be.