Thursday, February 02, 2006

Day 12 - A Sizzling Puzzle

To comment on Leo da Mirci’s puzzles, one has to be a born genius. As one of Leo da Mirci’s fans all that I can say is “I love Leo da Mirci!!!” (If at all you understand what I mean…)

I recently solved the “Da Vinci Webquest”
(http://www.randomhouse.com/doubleday/davinci/index-ctc.html) after spending a lot of time on it. All the answers were available on the net, but still made up my mind that I am not going to look into them. Finally I had to get one answer from the net. However it was fun. Felt happy that I was able to solve all other questions on my own.

Just like Leonardo da Vinci, Leo da Mirci is also a master of puzzles. This is one of Leo da Mirci’s puzzles from his book “Sizzling Puzzles”. Try to solve it.

The Puzzle:

The American Doctor

I do claim reluctantly that I found a medico liar when I was in America. When I first met her she told me, "I do miracles!!”. She said she no longer believed in oral medicine. She said that she has an ideal micro-chip that, once fitted in human beings, can be a cure for all diseases. She also said that it provides purified air, melodic sound waves that reduce tension and a lot of other benefits to the human brain. She thought that I am a docile irrational human being who will fall for whatever she says, but I am not. Nor do I admire cold hearted behaviour like that.

However, her last experiment took place in front of me (her maid was the guinea pig) in her domicile, around five kilometers away from my place. Once the operation was over, the maid started walking normally, but suddenly the maid recoiled and fainted. “Madam”, I cried loud. All she said was, “She kicked the bucket”, an idiom I clearly understood. I seriously started doubting her medical origins. I started to dial Crime department’s number. The cops caught her and the next morning, she became a crime idol, America will never forget. Even now when I think of the incident, I panic, I dream lots about it and I can never forget it.

Question 1: Count and give me the number of me's. (lets call this number P).
Question 2: If you could finish question 1, you would have found the odd 1 out of the P-1. Think why P-1 and give me the number which is the odd 1.

Clue1: Me,myself !!!

I think this puzzle will appeal only to people who generally don’t put down their pens without solving a puzzle, once they start. I couldn’t solve the puzzle with the above clue alone. When you think of the clue 1, remember it is taken from Leo da Mirci’s book. Now, try it.

In case you find the answers please write only the answers (numbers alone) as comments. Don’t spoil the fun (if at all somebody thinks it is) by giving out the logic. I promise, I will really give the first person to write the right answers a big treat (a Regent or a GRT)!!!

If you still cannot do it with the above clue, look for the second clue in the first comment. Looking for the second clue will not take away the treat from you. (Obviously because I have no way to find out if you have gone for the second clue or not… So go for the second!!!)

15 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am happy that some things that I found fascinating in English – even Craze Maze found them fascinating. Check his ninth day’s title for what I found fascinating. Taking it with the first clue might help to an extent.

Leo da Mirci

Baskaran Sankaran said...

Hey, The answer is q-1) 18, q-2) 6

Anonymous said...

Hi Baskaran,

Great!!!

Question 1:

I think you got the logic for the first question right. But I think you got the number wrong.

Second question - The answer Leo da Mirci has given is different.

Can you send a mail to leodamirci@yahoo.com explaining the logic behind the two answers?

Will definitely give you a treat if you send me the logic for the first one with the right answer/explanation for the first answer.

The next time I come to Bangalore!!!

Anonymous said...

Hello.. The answers are 1)14 2)2

Anonymous said...

Hi Ramya,

Please send the reasoning for the answers to leodamirci@yahoo.com.

Question 1:

You got the logic right but I feel you missed a few Me's for question 1. May be you could send the puzzle with Me's bolded and we could discuss it there.

Question 2:

Send the logic na.. Different from the answer I expected.

Can send you the answers if you send me your email Id.

Baskaran Sankaran said...

Hey,

Who is correct? Ramya or I? No reply from you even after I send my logic thro' mail.

Waiting for treat :)

Baskaran

Anonymous said...

Sorry, am a little busy. Read your mails..Will reply in a day or two.

Anonymous said...

Hi Ramya and Baskaran,

Sent the solutions to you. Please check and get back if you havent recieved them. Sorry again for not sticking to deadlines.

Leo da Mirci

Anonymous said...

Hi Leo,

Sorry for the inconvenience...I have no personal mail access.if you don't mind can you forward me the same to this id, ramyadevip@hcl.in

~Ramya

Anonymous said...

hey the anwsers are
q1) 19
q2) 10

i know that its very later but i started reading ur blogs sometime back only..

Close-uP said...

Q-1)16
q-2)5

Craze Maze said...

Hi bharath

thanks for trying it out.
After a long time some one is trying this out.
Tell me how it is 16. And 5. I think your first answer is right.

Close-uP said...

No man .. i've 2 say thanx 2 u ...
i've a gr88 craze 4 puzzles but lazy enough to not go by myself & get them.
good to see some puzzles in between entertainment :).
16 is number of I's\(First person me's)
one of the I is not Ashok's I so out of remaining 15 I's only 6th one is something different in sense like some one else's view about you (me )
... will be waiting for da correct answer :)

Close-uP said...

umm ... i even thought of a alternative answer to 2nd part of the question
q-2) 6 -- I am not(which is different from rest I's which are followed by some charecteristic property .. May be !)

Close-uP said...

aNswers please>! ..
@tleast u could've mailEd me.